- since August 2011 Senior Lecturer in Jewish Studies at the School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh.
- since April 2005 Lecturer in Jewish Studies at the School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh.
January-August 2009 Visiting Scholar, St Edmund’s College, Cambridge.
January-March 2009 Gastwissenschaftlerin, Institut für Gesellschaftswissenschaften und historisch-politische Bildung, Technische Universität Berlin.
September-December 2009 AHRC Research Leave.
- 2004-2005 Visiting Fellow with Teaching Responsibilities at the Faculty of Divinity at the Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium.
- 2002-2004 Affiliated Lecturer at the Centre for the Study of Jewish-Christian Relations (CJCR) Cambridge;
- Supervising on the Divinity Tripos and for colleges in Cambridge;
- Editorial Assistant for the Journal of Theological Studies published by Oxford University Press.
- 2000-2002 Junior Research Fellow at the CJCR.
- 2001-2002 Research Associate within the Faculty of Divinity’s Centre for Advanced Religious and Theological Studies at the University of Cambridge.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- 2000 PhD, University of Birmingham, UK
‘German Protestants Remember the Holocaust: Theology and the Construction of Collective Memory’
Supervisor: Dr Isabel Wollaston; Examiners: Dr Karen Kilby, Professor Martin Forward
- 1996 Postgraduate Diploma in Jewish Studies, Oxford University, UK
- 1995 M Phil, Trinity College Dublin, Éire
- 1991-94 Protestant Theology in Wuppertal & Bochum, Germany
LANGUAGES: native German, near native English; reading Yiddish, Hebrew, French, Latin & Classical Greek.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND AWARDS
- 2015-2018 AHRC Research Grant: Jewish Lives, Scottish Spaces: Jewish Migration to Scotland 1880-1950 (PI, Co-I: Dr Mia Spiro)
- 2014 Small Research Grant from the Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland to research the biography of Rabbi Dr Salis Daiches.
- 2012 Knowledge Exchange grant from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Edinburgh for the development of a University of Edinburgh Research Network in Jewish Studies. Challenge Investment Fund, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Edinburgh for exhibition project Edinburgh Jews.
- 2010 grant from the Spalding Trust to develop an online learning resource in Jewish–non-Jewish relations with Dr Maria Diemling.
- 2009 September – December: AHRC Research Leave.
- 2009 January – August: Visiting Scholar at St Edmund’s College, Cambridge.
- 2009 January – March: Gastwissenschaftlerin (Senior Research Fellow), Institut für Gesellschaftswissenschaften und historisch-politische Bildung, Technische Universität Berlin; funded by the Moray Endowment Fund and The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland.
- 1996-99 Full scholarship for PhD from Futures for Theology Initiative at the University of Birmingham.
- 1995-96 Full scholarship for Postgraduate Diploma in Jewish Studies from the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies.
- 1995 Herbert Frankel Scholarship in Jewish Studies.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Holocaust Studies: A Journal of Culture and History, Review Editor (2006-2008), Co-Editor (2010-)
- Shofar: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies, Member of the Editorial Board (2013-)
- British Association for Jewish Studies, Committee Member (2006-2009), Web Officer (2008-2016), President (2016/17)
- European Association for Jewish Studies (2007-)
- Association for Jewish Studies (2007-)
- The Stephen S. Weinstein Symposium, held biannually at Wroxton College, Fairleigh Dickinson University (2002-)
- British Association for the Study of Religions (2006-2011)
- Fellow of the The Higher Education Academy (since 2003)